Wednesday, June 9, 2010

What's up now

Recently I was feeling guilty about how many books I buy, and then BAM! I read this. The more books you have in your house, the smarter your kids'll be. And thank goodness I know now that correlation is causation, so there's no doubt these studies are solid. This is my license to buy. Check it out:

"The study (authored by M.D.R. Evans, Jonathan Kelley, Joanna Sikorac and Donald J. Treimand) looked at samples from 27 nations, and according to its abstract, found that growing up in a household with 500 or more books is 'as great an advantage as having university-educated rather than unschooled parents, and twice the advantage of having a professional rather than an unskilled father.'"

500 books! So like 1000 books would be twice the advantage of having university-educated rather than unschooled parents, and four times the advantage of having a professional rather than an unskilled father, right?! I need to get more bookshelves. For the sake of my not-so-distant-future children.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My parents didn't have many books in the house, but of the ones they did I read them... because they were there. I read 1984 when I was in 6th grade because my Dad had an old trade paperback from college floating around... again, because it was there. Unfortunately, that's all I read before age 12. Boy did I think the novel as a medium was dark, and I was really scared of rats, and saying anything about Reagan in public.

Sub-sub-librarian said...

I can hardly remember the books we had in our house when I was growing up. They were mostly history books my dad owned. The only one I remember reading was this huge biography of Patton. My dad was a big fan of the George C. Scott movie about him, which we owned and watched 2 or 3 times a year. Now that I think of it, I can't believe I finished that biography. It had to have been at least 800 pages, and I was probably in the 5th or 6th grade.